Tuesday, March 3, 2009

T.V. for Babies?

In the Time Magazine article I read today, there were researchers trying to figure out what TV did to toddlers and infants under two. They wanted to know if watching TV made a difference in vocabulary or motor skills. I thought it was interesting that they did not find a huge connection there, but more so related to the parents. The studies revealed that reading and interacting with children at an early age does more for their brains and overall skills than any amount of TV does. I do not have children, yet, and I do not plan to for a long time, but I do enjoy finding hints such as this to lock in my memory for when the day comes. Anything to make being a parently less confusing than I am sure it will be.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised that TV doesn't do much for young children! Especially now a days, I mean what program on TV actually is knowledgeable for kids? You just have shows that entertain, but do nothing to further children in learning. I think reading to your kids is a good thing. They learn new words, and pick up on how to read if they don't know how.

    ReplyDelete